Attention Brother and Sisters, SamuraiBigEd and myself are working on organizing a kilted float down the San Marcos River in San Marcos, TX. We are shooting for June 22, 2013. It will be a two mile float, bring beer and kilts. Message me or big ed if you have any questions. We are still in the planning stages so let us get stuff set in concrete and we will let you know what we know when we know it. Hope to hear from many of you.

Also, Rick Sanford, lead singer for Legs Diamond will be at the Phoenix Saloon in New Braunfels that evening. He is being backed by a group of musicians from San Antonio who have been friends of mine for years, they will be playing mostly Legs Diamond tunes but also throw in some of my friends originals as well as a few covers (Rick does an awesome Whole Lotta Love).

PS-Going to try and talk Rick into wearing a kilt!

Come on Brothers this will be a blast!

Just a tip:

Our current drought conditions in Central Texas have the San Marcos at low flow conditions.

The following link provides real time flows from the USGS gauging station just below Spring Lake:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=08170500

Might be worth watching these flow numbers as the trip dates get a bit closer...

http://www.tubetexas.com/rivers/san-marcos-river.html

According to this the San Marcos river is kinda like the Comal River, constant always flowing. Maybe I read it wrong. But anyway you in brother?

It could be changed to New Braunfels at a moments notice, there is always flow south of the Canyon Dam and close enough that anybody who makes arrangements to stay in San Marcos will be about 15-20 minutes away.

Only problem there is the River Nazis!

So, just in case some of you are holding back because you worried about messing up a kilt in the river. Wearing a kilt is optional! you do have to wear something on the float! Just making sure some people aren't shying away because you were worried about screwing up a kilt while floating, this is just a get together for us brothers to have fun drink and float down the river.

Update:

The San Antonio area and the watershed for the Edwards Aquifer received 12"+ of much needed rain over the weekend, so both the spring-fed San Marcos and Comal Rivers are in good shape.

The Lion's Club in San Marcos rents tubes, and all of the funds generated are returned to the community through support of charitable organizations (www.tubesanmarcos.com).

So who's up for a float?

• Like 1

are you in tshawytscha?

That makes 3 kilties + wives.

There is a possible kink in my plans, I was diagnosed today with walking pneumonia! If I get the all clear in two weeks I will make it, if not...I don't want to think of that possibility, can't be out of work in the busiest time of the year for that long!

We can push back the date if we need to.

Things are looking up, now if we can just get more people to come!

Good to hear, let us know as sure as you are sure you can make it

are we sure where we are floating?
what is the guadalupe flowing at?

If we are doing San Marcos we are fine.

Does anyone have a problem pushing the float back to some time in July?

Not me

The way the weather has been July may be a better option. I have talked to several people and if it's swimming in a pool or skiing in a lake or river evidently the cool spring has kept the water temps much cooler than usual

The springs that form the headwaters of the San Marcos River maintain an almost constant 72 degrees year round...

Texas July heat + a float in the crystal clear spring-fed waters of the San Marcos = near heaven.

what weekend in July works for everyone?

so would July 27 be ok? That is the weekend after my birthday, and that sounds like a good way to spend it, on the river, in a kilt drinking a few beers.