Cruach Mor!

On Becoming A Speyside Snob

Well, not really. I respect those who like incendiary Islay peat bombs, I just don't understand them. Heavy peat smoke is like amateur acupuncture on my tongue. I've tried Talisker 10 and Bowmore 12. That's as far as I cared to venture into Mordor, although I may try Highland Park next time I'm feeling adventurous and/or masochistic.

My point here is to dispel the myth that those who prefer Laphroiag, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and the like are more sophisticated, experienced or superior Scotchophiles than the rest of us who prefer our single malt without the taste of burnt socks, hot slag and turpentine.

If that's what you like, fine. Go for it. That leaves more beautiful, fragrant, delicious nectar of the gods on the shelf at my local State Store.

I'll not discourage, disparage or insult you. All I ask is that you extend the same courtesy. Deal?

Oh, and if you haven't tried one of the many excellent Speysiders lately, you might consider a quick, noncommittal journey to the light side. It isn't all lolly-pops and fruit roll-ups. At all. Some even have easily discernible hints of smoke and peat! (gasp)

Some of my favorites, which I can recommend without reservation (the order changes frequently, depending on my mood, so alphabetical here):

Aberlour 12

Balvenie Doublewood 12

Cragganmore 12

Dalmore 12

Dalwhinnie 15

MacAllan 12

The only "sherry bomb" on the list is the Dalmore, and it has enough smoke to keep things interesting. Also, none of these bonnie lasses is a terribly expensive date. Each can be had for less than $60 US, at least here in my neck of the Appalachian highlands.

And please understand that there is absolutely no stigma assignable by anyone to drinking whisky that actually tastes good! :wink:

The way I see David, is that you are the one spending the money to buy something you like the taste of, no use spending on something that makes your mouth feel like the bottom of a cocky's cage. It's the same with any food or drink you buy. Sure you may try different things, but if they displease your senses, why would you continue to get them. I like red wine (as well as scotch) and some people can't understand why I prefer, say a $10,00 bottle of red over something that costs 5 times as much. I am with you, drink what you enjoy mate. :thumleft:

"If we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world"

I'm one of those that enjoy the heavy peat and smoke. I figured I was the weirdo :DLaphroaig 10 is a favorite and the Laphroaig Quarter Cask is awesome. Can't stand sherry cask ones at all.

That being said I'm willing t give most a try. There is a bottle of rum cask aged in a nearby store that has been tempting me...

Jim

You had me, at Dalwhinnie... :wink:

There is a bottle of rum cask aged in a nearby store that has been tempting me...

The Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14, mayhaps? :wink:

The Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14, mayhaps? :wink:

Yep and it is on the wish list.

Jim

...some people can't understand why I prefer, say a $10,00 bottle of red over something that costs 5 times as much.

Good on ya, DU. I've tried some very expensive 18 and 21-year-old single malts. Some of them were quite nice, but not so much nicer as to justify the unbelievably high prices.

You had me, at Dalwhinnie... :wink:

You're so easy. :laughing:

Well, not really. I respect those who like incendiary Islay peat bombs, I just don't understand them. Heavy peat smoke is like amateur acupuncture on my tongue. I've tried Talisker 10 and Bowmore 12. That's as far as I cared to venture into Mordor, although I may try Highland Park next time I'm feeling adventurous and/or masochistic.

My point here is to dispel the myth that those who prefer Laphroiag, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and the like are more sophisticated, experienced or superior Scotchophiles than the rest of us who prefer our single malt without the taste of burnt socks, hot slag and turpentine.

If that's what you like, fine. Go for it. That leaves more beautiful, fragrant, delicious nectar of the gods on the shelf at my local State Store.

I'll not discourage, disparage or insult you. All I ask is that you extend the same courtesy. Deal?

Oh, and if you haven't tried one of the many excellent Speysiders lately, you might consider a quick, noncommittal journey to the light side. It isn't all lolly-pops and fruit roll-ups. At all. Some even have easily discernible hints of smoke and peat! (gasp)

Some of my favorites, which I can recommend without reservation (the order changes frequently, depending on my mood, so alphabetical here):

Aberlour 12

Balvenie Doublewood 12

Cragganmore 12

Dalmore 12

Dalwhinnie 15

MacAllan 12

The only "sherry bomb" on the list is the Dalmore, and it has enough smoke to keep things interesting. Also, none of these bonnie lasses is a terribly expensive date. Each can be had for less than $60 US, at least here in my neck of the Appalachian highlands.

And please understand that there is absolutely no stigma assignable by anyone to drinking whisky that actually tastes good! :wink:

I don't think most people think that Islay drinkers are necessarily MORE sophisticated (at least not 'round here), it's just different tastes for different tongues.

I personally can't do anything with too sweet a finish, The Macallan is about as sherried as I can go. Conversely, lots of malts that are 'inland' seem a bit small to me without much oomph behind them.

All Whisky is good, some of it is just a lot 'gooder' than others. ;) Drink what you love, life is too short (and Whisky too expensive) to do otherwise.

I'm one of those that enjoy the heavy peat and smoke. I figured I was the weirdo :DLaphroaig 10 is a favorite and the Laphroaig Quarter Cask is awesome. Can't stand sherry cask ones at all.

That being said I'm willing t give most a try. There is a bottle of rum cask aged in a nearby store that has been tempting me...

Jim

The 10 is my go-to bottle as well. Luckily I got by brother in law hooked on the peat monsters a few years ago, so I've always got an excuse to buy something new and nifty when he's coming into town.

I don't think most people think that Islay drinkers are necessarily MORE sophisticated (at least not 'round here), it's just different tastes for different tongues.

Aye, I did not mean to imply that the attitude was even near universal. My rant was somewhat of a reaction to an Islay snob on a whisky forum telling a newbie that he should try one of the peat bombs when he "put on his big boy p@nt$". I did not abide that and let him know it. I actually told him that I'd keep my kilt, thank you very much. :wink:

Aye, I did not mean to imply that the attitude was even near universal. My rant was somewhat of a reaction to an Islay snob on a whisky forum telling a newbie that he should try one of the peat bombs when he "put on his big boy p@nt$". I did not abide that and let him know it. I actually told him that I'd keep my kilt, thank you very much. :wink:

Ah, the pointless macho chest beating... yeah that gets irritating. MY Whisky is moar awesomer than yers!!!!

Lame.

Good comeback, btw! Lol!

I am a foodie. I am willing to try almost anything that doesn't move. Will go to the four star place. I have dropped the big bucks to try a shot of tequila that was kept locked in a cabinet that only the manager had a key to.

And everytime someone gets on a soap box about the "best" it ticks me off. I also love my Blue Box mac n cheese. My Oreos. My ramen noodles.

People who tell others what they should like are just trying to justify their own opinions.

Jim

• Like 1

I'm very partial to the Lagavulin 16, but that said my preferences are the Speysides every day of the week. My favourite is probably the Aberlour a'bunadh, a beautiful overproof cask-strength, followed (probably a contentious choice!) by the Cu Dubh. a modern recreation of the infamous Loch Dubh, a heavily caramelised very dark whisky from Aberdeenshire

I prefer "The Balvenie"anything.

bought some less expensive Cardhu and am ageing it in a "1 L oak barrel.

I prefer "The Balvenie"anything.

bought some less expensive Cardhu and am ageing it in a "1 L oak barrel.

The Balvenie Doublewood 12 is one of my half-dozen faves. Very nice dram.

Jim

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is rum casked and I am not normally a big fan of rum but this has a nice dry finish that is really quite pleasant

I too prefer Speyside or Highland malts. Every once in a while I get a hankering for smoke but the more I drink scotch the more this fades

I have no idea how I missed mentioning it earlier, but it's very hard to go past the Glenfarclas 40 as well. Affordable (as far as a 40 year old scotch goes!), those that like a little bit of smoke are catered for in a distinctively Speyside drop.

...those that like a little bit of smoke are catered for in a distinctively Speyside drop.

There are several Highlanders and Speysiders which have light peating and.or a bit of smoke. It is a misconception to think that they have none of either.

There are several Highlanders and Speysiders which have light peating and.or a bit of smoke. It is a misconception to think that they have none of either.

Granted brother, but I find personally that the peat is more noticeable in the Glenfarclas than the others I've tasted. It may be more a factor of it's age than the distilling, but for me it was definitely there nonetheless.

Granted brother, but I find personally that the peat is more noticeable in the Glenfarclas than the others I've tasted. It may be more a factor of it's age than the distilling, but for me it was definitely there nonetheless.

Aye. I wish that the Glenfarclas was available locally. I would like to try a Speyside with a just bit more smoke.

• Like 1