Sign in to follow this  
branmakmorn

New Brews

A couple of things to try for the summer heat.I tried the Redd's Apple Ale yesterday and I have to say that on a hot day it is really refreshing. Due to scheduling conflicts we celebrated Father's Day at my house yesterday. Both my kids and their significant others were there for bbq with all the trimmings. I bought a 6 pack to try along with Shiner Bock and Mike's Hard Lemonade and after the first bottle we had to make a second beer run cause the apple ale was all gone. Just had another listening to Thistle and Shamrock on the radio outside. Second recommendation-last week we met at a friends house to help him celebrate his 60th birthday. He had some Shocktop Belgian ale there, I have had that before and thought it was ok. BUT take a ice cold ale and add a slice of orange to it and it becomes fantastic. The citrus really makes it refreshing. Just something to try.

I'm honestly not huge on either product. Find Redd's a bit more candyish than I like my alcohol and Shocktop is honestly a bit "meh" as far as Belgian Whites go. Maybe it's where I live. breweries out of Maine and Vermont both brew readily available witbiers that don't need to be served so cold they deceive the palate and still require additives to be palable.

I'm usually not a big fan of beer you can see through myself, that being said in Texas in summer time an ice cold lighter brew can be really delicious.