KT

Anyone Here Furloughed Or Loosing Va Benefits From Shutdown?

Anyone here furloughed or at risk of loosing VA benefits as a result of the gov shutdown?

( NOT in political section, not a political discussion...checking in on my brethren to be sure everyone is ok if they are directly affected by this )

I will certainly try very hard to keep this apolitical. My father in law died in April of 2011, for the last 2 years of his life we begged, pleaded, invoked Congress members and got jack from the VA while his life and quality of life slipped away and he was a World War II tail gunner. It is a shame but the VA does a lousy job, but it is a matter of priorities and people do not seem to care enough and force the issue. Anyone see the WW II vets from Mississippi who came all the way to Washington today and were denied entrance to the Memorial and went right past the barricades?

If you believe that Veterans should get better service from the VA don't keep it to yourself tell make noise, tell your Congressman, make elected people see the importance. Freedom is never free, and the rights we so rightly enjoy were born of sacrifice.

No partisanship, no slams, no bashing so I hope this did not stray from the politics rule KT.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if its part of the "Afordable Care Act" or if its something congress was attempting, but I heard the all military retirees under 65 will lose their tricare privileges. Since I'm only 50, I sure can't afford to have any other health insurance. ...not sure how the shutdown will effect tricare.....

My father is a retiree under 65 and even if he had access to tricare, other friends have said they have been shut down or hard to reach and several people I know can't get medical care for their active duty dependents...it's also affecting the combat readiness training a friend of mine who is TACP does to train younger guys and I have several other people who are facing missed mortgage and rent payments, though most of them are lucky enough to bank with USAA who is paying out the salaries as a loan until the government pays again.

My wife was finally going to go to the Labor Dept. to find out what she can do about her deplorable work environment since she has this week off. They are closed until the end of this mess. Not exactly what you asked, but she is being impacted by the shutdown.

Not a big deal for me but since they have cancelled Reserve weekend this coming weekend it will put a difficulty on those who depend on Reserve pay as an income as several of our college and unemployed do. They are hoping to reschedule it in a couple weeks but that will depend on if this is all cleared up.

Jim

I'm not sure if its part of the "Afordable Care Act" or if its something congress was attempting, but I heard the all military retirees under 65 will lose their tricare privileges. Since I'm only 50, I sure can't afford to have any other health insurance. ...not sure how the shutdown will effect tricare.....

Not quite. Retirees that have Tricare Prime and live more than 50 (I think, don't quote me) miles from an MTF are being kicked off Tricare Prime. That would be me. Tricare Standard and Extra are what I get to use now. Sucks, but what can you do?

I'm priority 2 with the VA and haven't noticed any decline in my level of care. My understanding is that the VA is unaffected by the shutdown, but I could be wrong.