Drac

To Wear Metals Or Not To Wear

Hello all,

Going to the Burn's Night next Thursday and was laying out my kit. Got all the fancy gear laid out as the owner of the restaurant says they are going as formal as possible.

Two questions for you all.

1) Was once told that Burns is celebrated for his military service as well as his writings and that wearing military medals would not be out of place. Has anyone else seen this?

2) Since this is an everything and the kitchen sink sort of event I was concidering wearing my dirk as well bringing it for the Haggis. I have seen that when wearing a dirk with a waist coat that the belt is worn over the waistcoat. Again, any inputs on this?

Thanks,

Jim

I would check with the organiser of the event re the wearing of medals (only minitures, not full size). Usually it is specified on the invitation.

In relation to the wearing of a dirk, yes it is usually worn on a belt over the waistcoat in formal attire. I would advise against wearing a dirk if you are not part of the carving team for the haggis. If you are, I would remove it immediately after your duties have ceased as it becomes cumbersome if you are dancing or even getting up and down from you seat. Have a great night. Cheers

When you are in formal attire it is proper to wear the medals you have earned. I have been to Burns dinners and it is appropriate. I remember one wear a friend of mine wore his Silver Star.

Miniature medals with evening formal attire only.

Dirk only if your duties at the occasion require it.

Yep, mini metals only.

As far as the invitation there is no formal invitation. Show up until they are full. I talked to the owner and they want to got as formal as possible. Since they grew up in Scotland they know what that means :D The issue is making sure I know what it means.

Amy is pushing to leave them at home as they maybe a bit "LOOK AT ME!" for not knowing how everyone else will be dressed. For all I know, since this is the 1st time to this event, half the people could show up in Utiliakilt and t-shirts :laughing: If this were the Scottish Society I would expect that I would see all the way to ascots. Here I don't know. I am expecting a mix of dressy to Dress to the 9s.

I will carry the dirk then for the haggis instead of wearing it. Should be easy to tuck aside.

Thanks,

Jim

• Like 1

I wear mini ribbons on my black Prince Charley and mini Medals on my Eisenhower jacket. You earned them, you have every right to wear them and some would say even a patriotic duty to wear them. I also have a Wool Field Jacket, like I wore while in the Arctic Infantry, and it has just about everything I had on my Class A's when I left the Service on it. I would not wear that Field Jacket to a formal event, but I wear the HELL out of it at Gun shows and the like.

Kilt ON!

From the Burns dinners I have been to, it's more of a formal event Jim. So Prince Charley, kilt, paid if you have one and dress sporran if you have one of those. And I would wear medals (like Chris said you earned them it would be your honor to display them) and your dress dirk too......hummm that reminds me. Have you ever made a dress dirk Jim?

If you are interested send me an email.

Others have addressed the medals topic, but as to your second question, YES if you are wearing your dirk the dirk belt would go over your waistcoat. Interestingly enough the dirk tends to be worn on your dominant hand-side (right, if you are right handed).
As Downunder Kilt mentioned, it's clunky and awkward to wear if you're going to be doing any dancing, etc.