Sign in to follow this  
Rob Soderman

Milwaukee Irish Fest 2014

It's a four day celebration with singing dancing, drinking, and telling stories. So who died?

Here a partial lineup for what looks to be another great year.

http://irishfest.com/Entertainment/2014-Milwaukee-Irish-Fest-Entertainment-Lineup.htm

And I'm going even if I have to walk my kilted arse down there. This will be the last irish fest for two bands: Black 47 who are on their final tour, and Different Drums of Ireland who will give their final performance at this years festival.

Well I hope the Hell to meet you! Kiltedwoodie and I and the wife's will be there at least on sun. Maybe we can get together at our place on sat. about a 30 min drive.

I'll be attempting to attend yet again this year. Despite the fact it's only a 15 minute drive (maybe 45min with the festival traffic & parking) I've managed to miss it two years running.

I need my LIVE Red Hot Chilli Pipers fix.

Even though that's a weird time for work maybe I might be able to show up, a lot depends on what the priory has going on in terms of charity work. I'll have to talk to FJR1300 when he comes to St. Charles for Tartan Day.

Ok, I made it down there finally and here's my review for the yrear. First the good:

Red Hot Chili Pipers were awesome!!! I've seen many rock acts, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Rush, Stones, Grateful Dead, and I've have rarely seen an opening number that was so impressive and well done as the RHCP. And the rest of the show was just as great. I was so impressessed I saw them twice-full show. Hoping I can spot myself in the crowd when the DVD of the concert comes out. Grey shirt with "Yooper" written across it. Middle-fifth row(?) purple kilt. The rest of the festival seems like a blur after that show. Black 47 and Different Drums both put out great final Irishfest shows. Skerryvore also put on a pretty good show.We Banjo Three and Socks in the Frying Pan seem to be the "hot" new bands that were being buzzed about during the festival.

The bad: Missed Dougie MacLean. They scheduled him on the opposite side of the park at the same time as Black 47 and RHCP. Hopefully he will be back. Cultural center was totally rearranged and that will take some getting used too. No Sister Bernie's Bingo Bash which was always fun. The UK snack area was completely taken over by jameson wine tasting this year so no jelly babies for me. And the scariest thing for me was the almost total lack of CD's available. The bands had their CD's for sale but there use to be two vendors that sold CDs of other artist. One of vendors disappeared three years ago. The other use to have four tables of Cds. This year he had one table and they were priced at either $5 or $9 bucks each. Snapped up what I could but it looks like CD's are on their way out. FYI, I just bought a brand new 2014 Kia Soul-great car, comes with Sirrus radio (which I hate) but no CD player which, I guess will not be available in any of their future cars. Now I've got to buy an MP3 player and download everything onto that to listen to it in the car. Sucks, period.

Last night of the festival for us we were on the way out and out of nowhere i got kilt checked. Nuff said. Sunday we went to Bristol ren fair. Think we will skip that next year and just stay for all three or four days of the fest. My wife Sarah has all the pics on her facebook site. I'll see if I can get some over to the Brotherhoods FB site.

Forgot to mention that there were two Kilt dealers there. Kiltman kilts and Highland Kilt company. And even though they were almost on top of each other in the vendor tent they were both selling like crazy everytime I walked through.