FJR1300

Happy Birth Day Bikeolounger

Thank you, Sir!

I got to ride my bike a bit--errands to make happen, don't you know. I get to ride again today. Life is good, especially when unencumbered by p@nt$!

Happy birthday mate!

Happy Birthday Brother

Happy birthday!

Thanks to all for the well-wishes!

This marks the fiftieth anniversary of the first bike--a sidewalk bike common at the time, with the hard rubber tires (or tyres, if you prefer). It was the only fixed-gear bike I've ever owned.

Some years ago, my mother was giving me some grief over the importance of bicycling in my life. My first question to her was, "Who got me my first bike, Mom?"

Yeah, it was my mother.

So she started on my preference for recumbent bicycles (my screen name being a nickname given me by a bike shop guy in 1996), to which I responded, "And how did I learn of recumbent bikes, Mom?"

Yep, she and my stepfather had been to a presentation by Steven Roberts, featuring his BEHEMOTH (Big Electronic Human Energized Machine...Only Too Heavy), and returned with a copy of Computing Across America.

In recognition of fifty years of cycling, my mother and stepfather created a trophy.

014_zps934d4d69.jpg

• Like 2

Happy Birthday!