McFarkus

Botk Tartan Kilt Revisited

I was doing some spring cleaning a week ago and came across a box with a kilt in it. It was the one I"d ordered with many of you made in Pakistan with the custom woven BOTK tartan. Most of us were upset about the quality of the kilt and most got their money back. My kilt was much smaller than I'd ordered, so I just put it back in the box and forgot about it.

Just for fun I tried it on. Lo and behold, it fits (the result of losing more than 60 pounds). I re-examined the material and the straps. The straps are still sub-standard, but with some saddle soap they were a little less like cardboard. I took the kilt to the cleaners to be pressed (it still had it's basting intact).

I wore it today. It's really not so bad. Material is equivalent to kilts I've had from Stillwater Kilts. I like the pattern and the 'swish' from the full 8 yards of fabric. It was a nice surprise to come across during Spring cleaning. Unfortunately the photo below isn't well lit enough to see the tartan well.

2014-03-30111358_zps36f139a5.jpg

• Like 2

nice find and surprise. Hope i end up getting one.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the weight loss and thus in gaining a new kilt - looks very sharp!

• Like 1

Nice surprise! Congrats on the weight loss as well!

• Like 1

We need to do a pool and get that tartan redone , Daddy needs another kilt...

• Like 3

We need to do a pool and get that tartan redone , Daddy needs another kilt...

Not a bad idea at all.

Awesome news on the weight loss and refound kilt.

Hey Mark looks Good and the weight loss is Very Cool.

• Like 1

congrats on the weight loss. If we can come up with a supplier and good price I would like to have a BOTK kilt. Has anyone brought it up to GotKilt?

If there are that many people interested in a custom run of BotK tartan why doesn't someone just start a Pay-to-Play custom run from Marton Mills? You'd just need someone to do the breaking and end shipping.

I did one a few years ago with DC Dalgliesh for the R'lyeh Sett- although I wouldn't recommend them this time around, their custom 'set up' fees have gone through the roof.
And Rocky from USAKilts just did a second run of the sett for us last summer with Marton Mills in their Jura (16oz wool) range.

All you need is someone with a trade account with them.

A custom run is not TERRIBLY expensive if you're ordering enough yardage, and then you'd get a reliable mill to do the run and people could send their yardage to the kiltmaker of their choosing (presumably more reliable than the first TWO attempts at with the BotK tartan).

halifaxscottish.com is who mark used. They have the tartan available to order. Just letting y'all know, and I passed that information on to KT, so maybe a vendor here might pick it up.

halifaxscottish.com is who mark used. They have the tartan available to order. Just letting y'all know, and I passed that information on to KT, so maybe a vendor here might pick it up.

Looking at their site it appears that they are mostly resellers of Pakistani made goods (not that there's anything specifically wrong with that)-

I just think, given the somewhat cursed nature of the last two runs that the group might be better served going directly to a reputable source.

Direct to the mill- to make sure the weave is both CORRECT and of good quality, and direct to a kiltmaker of your choosing to make sure it's properly made.

Because the more hands a product has to go through in development and creation, the more likely it is that something will get assed-up along the way.

I have no particular horse in this race, but I did read some of the stories from both previous runs, why not make the 3rd time the charm? ;)

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would be interested in some yardage to make a kilt from...

How about it?

If I can afford it, I'd love to get one.