Kevin80222

Moral Dilemma

So, I admit that I still, from time to time, may go to that "other" kilt blog - don't get me wrong, I don't "play" over there and trust me when I say that "I only look at the pictures", which I do - it's the best way to see who's wearing what and how they're wearing it, and although I'm loathe to admit it I am going to be honest with the group here :pale:

Here's the dilemma: We have a member here that basically cut and paste a post from another member onto that other forum - no quotation, no reference of having gotten it from another source.. just posted the three or four paragraphs and pictures as if they were his/her own...

Is it just me or is this kinda dirty and unethical?

If it's not, then I'm gonna start plagiarizing posts so I can sound more intelligent...

Please tell me I'm right, I can't pull off smart.

Can't say that I agree with stealing others words. I think you should have a PM with the person.

• Like 1

I am a writer and post all my tales on the internet pen name (Sentinel103)....yes you can google it. We usually adhere to the rule that if you are using someone else's intellectual material then you should seek his/her permission as it is their property.

In some cases authors are unable to get that because the author that you borrowed it from may not be on the site anymore.....at the very least you should explain where you got the material. For us plagiarism is serious and it has happened.

• Like 1

No I am not a bleeding heart far from it....I agree that not giving proper attribution to someone and directly using their words is wrong.

But out of curiosity...have you tried sending the brother a PM. Maybe he made a mistake, and a bad one at that, and will come clean and learn from it.

On the other hand if he did not reply in an appropriate way or was nasty I would have a real negative perspective. Might be worth a conversation with KT, particularly

if it originated here, if you were not well received in what is oft refered to as "fraternal correction."

• Like 1

Concur with my brothers above. I'd like to think it was a simple oversight or pure ignorance. It's surprising to me how many folks don't understand that intellectual property IS property nor the ethical issues around it. May be your chance to provide some direct education.

• Like 2

Git a rope.

Seriously though, without permission that would be dirty pool.. even plagurism. Also, we'll have to get the ruling from KT as to whether there's anything in the rules that posts on this website are the property of the author and the website. I concur that a PM to the brother in question would be a good start.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen - I didn't think it was something to just let go. I'll PM the original poster here to see if by some chance it was sanctioned, then the person who decided to borrow the post, lastly looping KT in.

Good to see honesty and integrity here, appreciate that as sometimes it feels as if those attributes are in short supply in the world...

• Like 1

Honesty, integrity, and modesty are all responsibilities that come with wearing the kilt. Well at least the first two.

• Like 4

double post

It also could be the guy has an ID here and a different one one the other site but is the same person. As I put in my private message to you there is the option of flagging the post on the other site.

Mike

interested to see where this goes.....

It also could be the guy has an ID here and a different one one the other site but is the same person. As I put in my private message to you there is the option of flagging the post on the other site.

Mike

It's funny - the two names under which these posts appear are two distinct members here, both joining at the same time, so my thought is that one borrowed the words of the other...

PMs sent to both parties, then I'll PM KT. Another member here is a member on the other site and we're having a dialogue as well since it should be addressed there also.

Who knew being ethical was so much work...

• Like 1

Or one forgot their user name, and started a different one. The might actually be the same person.

That would be good - I'd prefer this all to be a mistake of some sort!

I am beginning to think it is the same person. The posts are 12 minutes apart on the two forums. Both accounts are new and created around the same time.

Mike

Lets hope that's the case that they are the same person. I dont like plagiarism, & although it may seem a minor thing, it says a lot about a person's character.