Drac

Look What I Found While Cleaning The Garage

Hello all,

This week has been garage cleaning each night. We realized that the garage was a pig sty and it was time to clean it out. We were crossing the boarder of frugal by saving stuff that might be used later like tile and flooring boards into hoarding.

Garage man is going to hate us this weekend.

We found a lot of "stuff" that we had forgotten we had (a clear sign they need to go) and in the mess I came across this -

IMG_7666_zps2396157c.jpg

IMG_7667_zpsde7935fa.jpg

I don't know when I got it or where but it is in good shape and shave ready. Talk about your lost treasures.

Jim

That's cool I bought two at a garage sale one is dated 1882 for a sharpening.

John

Nice

Been figuring out what I can about it. Looks like I got it during a trip to KCMO in 2010 at an antique mall.

While looking it up on the net found a guy in Israel that was able to help me out. It is at least 51 years old as the company moved from Toledo to Clyde Ohio in '63. There is very little wear on the spine and since the normal techique is to lay the whole blade on the stone it hasn't been sharpened may times. With the gentleman's help I found out that the handle is original due to the fastners on it. Since you can see the faint grind lines from making, no oxidation on the blade, and original handle is is a safe bet it was never used.

Probably a Father's Day gift back in the 50's that just got dropped in the same box as all the unused ties. Then years later someone cleaning out Grandpa's attic found it and sold it to the dealer.

Jim

Sweet find bro, my buddies think I'm nuts for shaving with one all the time but I love the finish it gives.

I have 3 older blades ranging from the early 1900's to the 1950's & a new one by Dovo that is 5 year old now.

Sure is pretty!

I know that several on this forum like using those. I have a barber that uses the modern version (replaceable blades) when she shaves the nape of my neck at haircut time. It's not as pretty as that one.

I'm an avid straight shaver, I use one every morning!

That's a darned purdy razor there son, I have a few in my collection that I really like, among them are a couple Dubl ducks, a few unknown German steel blades, a vintage craftsman (?!) straight, and a Joseph Smith & sons celebrated razor from 1860 that shaves like an absolute dream.

You should send it to me for field testing and verification of straight-razorness :D

We found a lot of "stuff" that we had forgotten we had (a clear sign they need to go)

I don't know when I got it or where, but I think GrainReaper needs this

I refer you to your post, this is clear evidence you need to send me that straight!

About the only thing that could be better is a Bridgeport in like new condition with all the cutters and inserts right Jim?

About the only thing that could be better is a Bridgeport in like new condition with all the cutters and inserts right Jim?

As mentioned I would love to upgrade my machine with wheels. Not just for straights but a dagger grind on damascus whith wheels is awesome.

But before that I have a wish list that includes a mill for doing integrals and folders, a surface grinder and a wood bandsaw for resawing. I would love a nice big Bridgeport :D

Granted I still have to figure out how to assemble and use the metal lathe I got a few years ago.

Jim

Granted I still have to figure out how to assemble and use the metal lathe I got a few years ago.

Jim

Hey Jim, I just got my lathe about 2 months ago and have it zooming away- Which one did you get?

My brother-in-law gave me this one -

latheo.jpg

He got it from a deceased uncle. Until I recently tried to turn the pommel and I realized it would have worked better if I had gotten this thing running.

Jim

It looks like you have the basics there Jim unless there is something wrong with the motor it shouldn't take too much. Is it 240Volt?

Oh I have a lot more then in the picture but I have no idea how to assemble it let alone set it up and use it :confused-smiley-013:

It uses a 110 motor that uses gravity to provide the tension for the pullies.

Jim

I wish my garage had cool stuff like that in it...