Drac

Sodastream Syrups

Hello all,

I know there are a lot of DIY people here so I thought I'd ask.

Good, bad or worse, Amy and I love our sodas. We did get a Sodastream a while back but while this has reduced the number of bottles thrown away it hasn't eliminated them. Also there is a very limited selections of flavors available.

I was thinking of a way to add cherry flavor to something like the cola or lemon/lime but while researching I came across why not make you own syrup? There were a couple recommondations and I found a few books on it that I will study to see if I can adapt them.

Any of you played around with this? I've made snow cone flavors for home easily enough so I know there's got to be a way.

Jim

I've not messed with a soda stream, but I do make my own flavored seltzer water that I keep on tap in my bar, currently it's 5 gallons of lime seltzer water

Soda stream is a waste in my op. 7.99 a charge is not worth it to me. I drink water most of the time anyway

Like GrainReaper I have my own CO2 tank and make my own seltzer and occasionally syrups (including tonic water). Right now I'm experimenting with Ginger-Lime-Mint, and considering sour cherry as the next adventure.

It's loads more affordable than the proprietary chargers for the SodaStream. $50 for a 5lb CO2 tank, $9 for the fill whip, and $12 for the "Carbonator" caps, refills are $5 for the tank.

I always have a few bottles made up. At $0.99 per one liter of seltzer (at the store) I've probably made my money back twice over in the last 6 months.

That's really good, artificer! I still don't drink enough tonic water to justify that though...

If I made a 5 gallon keg of tonic water I would need WAAAAAAY more gin than I currently have on hand

Got one of the books in last night and while flipping through it I came across an answer to one of the questions I was wanting to know, how to add cherry flavor to the syrups. Found out it's almond extract. The book recommended 3/4 tsp to 3 1/2 c of liquid (3 c water, 9 tbsp cola syrup) for a cherry cola. I played with it last night (yes I just happen to have almond extract) and it was great. Will have to play with the amounts but it's a start.

Jim