sgianendubhsiast

Something That Travels

what should it be?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On another forum they have a quaich that travels the world to different members. I think something like this would be good (but something much smaller than a quaich) and have a online travel log of it.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think the traveling item is interesting, but what would it be? I have no idea....

Kilt Pin would be cool . A picture could be taken of it on the newest recipients kilt

• Like 1

A kilt pin is brilliant!

We have a fantastic carver on this forum and he did a traveling plaque (nick named Woody) for the Lamonts and I've had the honor of carrying it several times. By coincident I have it right now for some time in Dallas and Kansas City.

Epcot03.jpg

For a while we tried to get shots of Kiltology in our travels but that fell to the side. Maybe we should get them out a going again?

Jim

Keep the ideas rolling! I'm liking the concept!

I will do some research.

It should be something that symbolises travel. We could do a kilt pin of a birlinn which is a scottish ship with the kiltman "onboard" or on the sail. probably wouldn't cost too much to have it cast or maybe a pewter hobbyist would volunteer to do it free or at a discount. I could even cast it using lost wax. I just need to find some good pewter or tin. Once we get enough ideas suggested we can add a poll to the thread to decide on it.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I like the idea of a kilt pin as it'll be cheaper to ship to the next person (I'm poor and can't afford a large shipping cost).

Shipping WOULD be rather inexpensive on a kilt pin

• Like 1

It should be something that symbolises travel. We could do a kilt pin of a birlinn which is a scottish ship with the kiltman "onboard" or on the sail. probably wouldn't cost too much to have it cast or maybe a pewter hobbyist would volunteer to do it free or at a discount. I could even cast it using lost wax. I just need to find some good pewter or tin. Once we get enough ideas suggested we can add a poll to the thread to decide on it.

Like this? -

340px-A_tomb_in_MacDufie%27s_Chapel%2C_O

Jim

Yes drac, with "kiltman" on the sail. Of course we have to get KT's permission to use the kiltman.

• Like 1

Remember for those that were on that [other site] back in the day that the quaich replaced a small wooden blimp. However the idea of a kilt pin is interesting, I am not sure it shows the brotherhood aspect as well. This is only because it can only be worn by one person at a time. The beauty of a drinking vessel is that it is designed to share drinks from. Just a thought.

I agree about the "community" aspect but the hard fact is that sending a quaich or anything as big as that around the world is pretty cost prohibitive.

Maybe something that fits ionto the USPS small Priority Box?

Jim

• Like 1

The small usps box measures 8.625" x 5.375" x 1.625" inside dimensions.

A few possibilities are kilt pin, sgian dubh, flask....

Hey, how bout a flask? Not as froofy as a quaich, more usable, shareable, and it could be engraved with the cities that it goes to, or the members who had it.

Perhaps a flask in a tooled leather sporran of its own with the BotK logo on it

Perhaps a flask in a tooled leather sporran of its own with the BotK logo on it

I like the flask idea. A shot glass would be good as well... keep the great suggestions coming...

I saw a few round polished stainless flasks, with a clear glass window in the middle that can be etched with the BotK standard

Cool. Now the million dollar question(or however much it costs) is, how much do they cost plus engraving?

How about a BotK sgian dubh? HOWEVER.... If unsheathed the blade must taste the blood of a foe before being re sheathed :D

How about a BotK sgian dubh? HOWEVER.... If unsheathed the blade must taste the blood of a foe before being re sheathed :D

in keeping with the brotherhood nature, how about a BOTK sgian brew?

We can get them through Amy's work like this -

QPic_zpsdadd971c.jpg

For less then wholesale and can get every part engraved.

Jim

• Like 1

Cool. Now the million dollar question(or however much it costs) is, how much do they cost plus engraving?

The flask is like 10-15 dollars, not sure on the cost anymore on glass etch but I made my own stencil etching with a printer, the right materials and the cream for the etching, I made a few dozen pint glasses with my brewing logo on em (see my avatar for the logo)

Now who can tool a logo'd leather pouch for such a flask?

Whats the dims on that case? Will it fit in a small flat rate box?