PTAaron

Fitness Tip 9/5/14 - Don't Be That Guy

Here is the original: http://fitnessboard.net/wordpress/fitness-tip-9514-dont-curl-in-the-squat-rack/

Today we have a really simple tip that will help keep you from being beaten to death by other members of the gym:

DO NOT CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK!!!!!!!

thesquatrackisforsquatting.jpg

Ask anyone that is a serious lifter or bodybuilder that works out in a commercial gym to list their top pet peeves - and you will find that near the top of the list for almost everyone is “people curling in the squat rack”. The people that don’t list that as a pet peeve probably are the people that ARE curling in the squat rack!

11-300x290.jpg

You may be thinking “What is so wrong with it? Those bars are so conveniently placed for me to load up my weights… who cares really?” Easy answer: People that want to use power racks and squat racks for their intended purpose care! You know what else is conveniently located for you to set up the bar for curls? THE FLOOR! The best part about the floor is that it is located LITERALLY everywhere in the gym!! Seriously - if you cannot pick up the bar you are using for curls from the floor, there is something seriously wrong with the rest of your workouts!

personal-trainer-meme-generator-want-big

For the new gym-goers that still don’t get it: Squat racks and power racks are built to provide safety stops so you don’t end up getting squashed by the weight on squats if fail to complete a rep. They are also designed to give you an adjustable starting point for exercises that you can’t do off the floor - like squats, heavy bench press, or even heavy overhead presses. The weights you use for curls are relatively light - there should be no reason to need a squat rack to do your curls!

01ef864632ae46407d59333ef4f5ad0e.jpg

Don’t be “that guy”... please.

Have a great weekend.

• Like 3

I did stop doing curls in the rack, but I also did them in concert with dead lifts. It just so happens that at my gym, that is the only part with a floor designed for the dropping of the heavier weights, so the one squat rack is also the deadlift area. (There is a second squat cage that I prefer, most people at the gym doing squat use the cage instead of the one like in the pic you posted.)

• Like 1

I've discovered that when doing 16 oz. curls this is rarely an issue. So, my suggestion is be mindful of the weight you're "pushing."

God Bless Belhaven!

God Bless the Whiskey Fairy!

:KILT:

• Like 1

I vote for a "new" exercise, I call it the "deadlift curl"

1) get the F out of the cage

2) load your plates

3) dead lift to hip height

4) curl the bar for your set reps

5) lower dead lift to the floor

6) revel in your radical approach to strength training

• Like 1

Amazingly, went to the gym this afternoon, went to the squat rack. Safety rails, on the floor, bar on the ground with like 100 lbs on it . I had to unload the bar, set the bar height and put the safety rails back before I could even start my workout. To say I was unhappy would be an understatement.

• Like 2

Amazingly, went to the gym this afternoon, went to the squat rack. Safety rails, on the floor, bar on the ground with like 100 lbs on it . I had to unload the bar, set the bar height and put the safety rails back before I could even start my workout. To say I was unhappy would be an understatement.

The gym I used to go to back in the day had a simple rule, when you are done, rack your weights and return machine/rack to original configuration, first offense is a verbal warning, second offense is a written warning, third offense and you are removed from the gym and membership is revoked, (too many injuries caused by the troll who leaves 12 plates on a bar racked up in a cage, some shlub breaks a foot trying to remove the plates.etc)

• Like 1

The gym I used to go to back in the day had a simple rule, when you are done, rack your weights and return machine/rack to original configuration, first offense is a verbal warning, second offense is a written warning, third offense and you are removed from the gym and membership is revoked, (too many injuries caused by the troll who leaves 12 plates on a bar racked up in a cage, some shlub breaks a foot trying to remove the plates.etc)

unfortunately our gym does'nt have mgrs. on site during the weekend

unfortunately our gym does'nt have mgrs. on site during the weekend

I wish I had time/funds to get back in the gym.

PTAaron.... How about a fitness thread on home exercise methods for guys like myself who can't get to a gym?

• Like 1

Great comments guys - sorry I hadn't had a chance to make it back to the site for a few days.

I almost never use a rack like the one in the above picture - I'm too tall for the safety stops to be useful unless I'm actually sitting on the floor ;) I do my front squats in an adjustable power cage. I have to admit that I DO use the power cages for my chest workouts too... only because I always go to failure and I don't use a spotter, only way to do that safely is to have the bars set where I only slightly crush my rib cage :lol:

Luckily - and amazingly for a commercial gym - we have 6 power racks! One old school cage style and 5 newer "olympic" racks with wood flooring in them and bumper pads for deadlifting. I think we still have one standard "squat rack" too.

GrainReaper - I'll see what I can do... it really depends on what equipment you have available. I have a good friend that works out at home, but he has nearly a full gym in his basement (power rack, leg press, calf machines, a few thousand pounds in plates, smith/jones machine, etc) so his approach may not apply to most people.

I was thinking of getting basic weight set and bench I see a ton of them at second hand sports shops that are affordable.

I lift at home I use dumb bells for 99% of my work out no spotter needed.

John

• Like 1

Great comments guys - sorry I hadn't had a chance to make it back to the site for a few days.

I almost never use a rack like the one in the above picture - I'm too tall for the safety stops to be useful unless I'm actually sitting on the floor ;) I do my front squats in an adjustable power cage. I have to admit that I DO use the power cages for my chest workouts too... only because I always go to failure and I don't use a spotter, only way to do that safely is to have the bars set where I only slightly crush my rib cage :lol:

Luckily - and amazingly for a commercial gym - we have 6 power racks! One old school cage style and 5 newer "olympic" racks with wood flooring in them and bumper pads for deadlifting. I think we still have one standard "squat rack" too.

GrainReaper - I'll see what I can do... it really depends on what equipment you have available. I have a good friend that works out at home, but he has nearly a full gym in his basement (power rack, leg press, calf machines, a few thousand pounds in plates, smith/jones machine, etc) so his approach may not apply to most people.[/quote

I don't work to failure much any more. But I was glad the bench I was on last week had a dump rack , I added a rep that was one too far.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.