Raymond

How Wide Is The Typical Kilt Belt?

I have been looking at pictures and I see guys wearing all size width belts.

I have to be honest the wider ones look better (IMHO)

Since I have not seen my kilts yet, what is the average width of the belt?

I have a tactical rigger belt that I wear all the time. It is abut 1.5 in width. I figure I can wear this with a utility kilt.

Please chime in and help me with this.

Thanks

Ray

Most "kilt" belts will be anywhere from 21/2 -31/4 inches wide. I have seen one rather large ( 6ft.6" ) fella wearing a custom made 4 inch belt. A thing to note about kilt belts is that they are not supposed to hold your kilt up. If you kilt is properly sized the belt becomes completely aesthetic and thus the width becomes a matter of personal taste. If you like the look of your riggers belt with your kilt then by all means wear it. If you want what some would consider a more traditional look then you might want to go a little wider.

I have a two pronged belt that is two inches wide, I'm not that tall nor heavy so I think it looks proportioned on me, but perhaps it's a bit narrow on a taller or wider bloke

If you're referring to the somewhat overused waistplate style belt (which SHOULD be used primarily for more formal occasions) the standard width is 2.25", which is the same width as the contemporary Sam Browne buckle.

Smaller than 2" and a belt looks (IMO) a bit goofy and insubstantial with a kilt. Unless you're a REALLY big guy if a belt is over 2.5" it can also look a bit odd.

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 1

I have 2", 2.25", and 3" belt7. it all depends on the kilt. But I agree the wider belts do look better.

I think your ideal kilt belt width depends on your height, mine is a simple double prong belt that is 2" wide, were I 6'5" tall I would opt for a 2.5" or maybe 3" belt. But at my towering 5'8" height anything over 2.25" gets to looking like a bad Santa costume belt on me.

I also never wear the turkey platter sized buckles as I'm not a bull riding rodeo champion.

When I lived in Phoenix we would refer to the big honkin buckles as "Yay-hooo" belts

I just ordered this UTG Heavy Duty Belt

http://amzn.com/B001BR4R6E

I plan on using this for my utility kilts. it was only $8.99 on Amazon. Thoughts?

51rC9ei79dL._SL1500_.jpg

I like that. I think I'll pick one up for utility kilt use as well. Thanks for the link!

The "standard" width of a kilt belt is 2.25". If I order a kilt belt from any of my suppliers in Scotland (we have 4 suppliers who make their own kilt belts), all of them will be 2.25". Kilt Belt Buckles are designed to fit on 2.25" kilt belts.

Can you WEAR different width belts with a kilt? Sure, but since the OP asked in the title "How wide is a typical kilt belt", that's my answer... 2.25". :-)

• Like 1

I use my 1.75 and my 2 inch belt simply because anything smaller does not keep my holster for my pistol affixed ( both belts i wear with p@nt$ as well). Both are of thick leather from Bullhide belts. As far as what you should or should not wear ? Well, I am in America and I love exercising freedom ! lol

• Like 1