Sign in to follow this  
PTAaron

Fitness Tip 10/17/14: Do Something!

(Original version here: http://fitnessboard.net/wordpress/fitness-tip-101714-do-something/ )

It has been a while since I've written a fitness tip... I've been busy testing out and writing reviews on the pile of supplement samples that I got at the 2014 Mr. Olympia Expo. Sorry about the lack of Fitness Tips - but at least there are a bunch of new supplement reviews to read in the REVIEWS section (click to check them out). I had a few minutes today - so here is my tip for you:

Any Exercise is Better Than NO Exercise!

do_something-300x300.gif

That is something that is pretty obvious to a lot of the people reading this, but you would be surprised how many people miss this simple fact!

When people want to get started on an exercise program the idea can be overwhelming. There are SO MANY options and SO MANY machines at the gym that people just don't even know where to start. The end up being too intimidated to even take that first step and just do SOMETHING at the gym. They worry that they might do something wrong, or do "the wrong thing" which will somehow make them worse off than they were to begin with. Those concerns are perfectly valid - especially with all of the crazy and contradictory advice you will find on the internet. It is easy to find 10 different websites that give you 10 different opinions on what you should do - and many will tell you that doing it someone else's way is bad for you. They wouldn't make any money off of you if you don't do it their way - so of course it is the ONLY way!!

I'm here to tell you that if you are looking to get yourself into better shape - the first step is REALLY simple... just get your butt off the couch and DO SOMETHING! Get outside and walk for 20 minutes, head to the gym and walk on the treadmill, go experiment with the various machines at the gym and do some weight exercise, or go hop on your bike and ride around the neighborhood. There is no wrong way to get started - as long as you GET STARTED. Once you get used to the idea of adding exercise into your routine - you can start to worry about what kind of program you want to focus on and what exercises are best for getting you to that goal.

Just remember: The biggest key, when trying to get yourself healthier, is to GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND DO SOMETHING!!!

Any great new supplements I should know about?

My favorite supplements are chicken on the smoker, roasted fresh veggies, and scotch. The order is often switched around to keep things exciting.

I'm not very healthy am I??

I did deadlift a 200lb transmission from the crate on the floor and set it on the transmission jack at chest height. Then repeat with the old one from the workbench to the crate

• Like 1

Hey PT -- I have been working on the "Convict Workout / Conditioning" using one's own body weight.

Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness-Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength by Paul Wade -- http://amzn.com/B004XIZN5M

We do not have a gym here and limited on equipment, so improvising and really like Paul Wades system. It works for me.

I liked your article and it motivated me to push out some more pushups and up to 100 so far today. Working on squats also. thanks for the article.

• Like 1

Good to see you back.

John

Thanks! Been lurking on the forum, just haven't had a lot to add lately ;)

Any great new supplements I should know about?

If you're into BCAAs - I like this one a lot: http://fitnessboard.net/wordpress/review-san-bcaa-pro-reloaded/

I've tried out a few pre-workouts that I haven't written up yet... Mr Hyde is great if you love caffeine - I thought maybe it should be renamed "Hey you... dumba$$... you're gonna have a stroke now!". SAN Fierce Domination has a horrible name - but is pretty good, been using that quite a bit: http://fitnessboard.net/wordpress/review-san-fierce-domination/

I've got nearly 80 different things to sample and write about... so I'm sure I'll run across something amazing ;)

My favorite supplements are chicken on the smoker, roasted fresh veggies, and scotch. The order is often switched around to keep things exciting.

I'm not very healthy am I??

I did deadlift a 200lb transmission from the crate on the floor and set it on the transmission jack at chest height. Then repeat with the old one from the workbench to the crate

Sounds like it is working for you! Supplement program sounds pretty solid to me, except I would consider alternating the chicken with brisket to keep things fresh ;)

Hey PT -- I have been working on the "Convict Workout / Conditioning" using one's own body weight.

Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness-Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength by Paul Wade -- http://amzn.com/B004XIZN5M

We do not have a gym here and limited on equipment, so improvising and really like Paul Wades system. It works for me.

I liked your article and it motivated me to push out some more pushups and up to 100 so far today. Working on squats also. thanks for the article.

Glad to hear it! I haven't read that one, but I'm adding it to my list.

• Like 1

Pushing 2700lb dead vehicles around an 1/8th mile at a stretch by myself added to tire rotations, engine and trans swaps and running everywhere because time is money it's no wonder I maintain my weight over the years

• Like 1

Man hoping I can get back into the wt room tomorrow. I had a bursitis flare up this past week, legs hurt so bad just could not force myself into the gym. Wanting to start a new power lifting routine to get in shape for ren fest games in the spring.

• Like 1

I guess I'll have to get back to it with a little more regularity. The "3 month" remodel of my gym is finally winding down after having started 6 months ago. I'll finally be able to get back in the gym and just in time, the other scout leaders have decided to do a biggest loser challenge. I'm kind of at a disadvantage, I'm the tallest one in the challenge and I also weigh the least. But hey. Maybe I can keep the other guys motivated.

• Like 1

I'm back to running, trying to get ready for a few 5k races coming up.
Sure I won't match my previous times, and it's still a bit painful, but I'm determined to make a showing.

In kilt, of course.

• Like 1

Pushing 2700lb dead vehicles around an 1/8th mile at a stretch by myself added to tire rotations, engine and trans swaps and running everywhere because time is money it's no wonder I maintain my weight over the years

Ha! Great workout plan there! ;)

Man hoping I can get back into the wt room tomorrow. I had a bursitis flare up this past week, legs hurt so bad just could not force myself into the gym. Wanting to start a new power lifting routine to get in shape for ren fest games in the spring.

Good luck, hope it worked out!

I guess I'll have to get back to it with a little more regularity. The "3 month" remodel of my gym is finally winding down after having started 6 months ago. I'll finally be able to get back in the gym and just in time, the other scout leaders have decided to do a biggest loser challenge. I'm kind of at a disadvantage, I'm the tallest one in the challenge and I also weigh the least. But hey. Maybe I can keep the other guys motivated.

That's a long wait! Wow...

If your biggest loser challenge is done based on percentage bodyfat change that would be a whole lot more fair for a tall guy, but otherwise - yeah you're in trouble!

I'm back to running, trying to get ready for a few 5k races coming up.

Sure I won't match my previous times, and it's still a bit painful, but I'm determined to make a showing.

In kilt, of course.

Great to hear you're running again! Finishing is a good goal for now, worry about the times later ;)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this