Sign in to follow this  
PTAaron

Fitness Tip 10/31/14 - Working Out At Home

Properly formatted version: http://fitnessboard.net/wordpress/fitness-tip-103114-working-out-at-home/

DSC_2382.jpg

Working out at home

I have had a few people ask that I do an article on working out at home - and I’ve been putting off writing it for a while because I didn’t want to just to a half-assed article that didn’t really give any information. I’m hoping that I can put together something here that will be truly useful! The real difficulty in writing an article about working out at home, is that no two people seem to have the same equipment available to them! I’ve seen people do effective home programs with as little as a barbell, some weights, and a bench - while others have everything from a power rack to a leg press machine in their basement.

Let me start all of this out by saying that I do not workout at home. I haven’t worked out at home since I graduated from high school back in 1994, so what I am telling you here is based on my experience from 20+ years ago and also on what I’ve learned from a good friend and fellow FitnessBoard contributor who goes by MassiveFreak. MassiveFreak has an excellent home gym that he posted pictures of on the forum in these posts on HERE and HERE.

Equipment

What you will have in your home gym will depend on a lot of factors but the most important are obviously “How much space is there?” and “How much money do I have to spend?” You could end up with anything from a set of pink 1lb dumbells and a yoga mat that you use in your living room while watching TV to a converted airplane hangar filled with top of the line equipment. For the sake of this article I’m going to assume you have a bit of space and a little bit of money to put into your workout space… but you can always do more or less. The bare basics that I would recommend are and adjustable bench (with supports for the bar), an Olympic weight set, Olympic barbell, and a set of dumbells that you can use with your olympic weights. If you have the space and money a simple power rack makes a nice addition - you’ll just need a different style adjustable bench since you won’t need the built in supports. If you don’t like running or walking outside - you’ll also want to invest in some sort of cardio related machine like a bike, treadmill, or elliptical machine. With just these few pieces of equipment anyone from a beginner to an advanced lifter can get an effective workout.

Exercises

Okay, now you’ve got your equipment picked out - how are you going to get a full body workout from just those few things?? It is a lot easier than you think, if you have a big list of exercises to pick from! I’m going to list things off for you here by bodypart. If you are unfamiliar with something listed - click here for some great animated pictures of how to perform most exercises. If you want a better explanation click on the link at the bottom of the page that will take you to our forum and ask us about it there.

I am going on the assumption that you have access to 1) A barbell with weights, 2) adjustable dumbells with weights, and 3) a bench. I am going to start from the top and work my way down… so here we go:

Chest

• Pushups (flat, decline, incline, wide, close)
  • Barbell or Dumbell Bench Press - depending on your bench you can do incline, decline, or flat
  • Dumbell Flyes (can also do incline, decline, or flat)
  • Dips (if you have a power rack you can use a barbell to make dip bars)

Shoulders

• Dumbell Seated or Standing Shoulder Press
  • Dumbell Arnold Press
  • Dumbell Lateral Raise
  • Dumbell or Barbell Front Raise
  • Barbell or Dumbell Clean and Press
  • Barbell or Dumbell Hanging Clean and press
  • Upright Rows (dumbell or barbell)
  • Barbell Shoulder Press (if you have a power rack and appropriate bench)

Triceps

• Skullcrushers (barbell or dumbell) - varieties: incline, decline, on the floor, “WTF” style
  • Dumbell Kickbacks
  • Close Grip Bench Press
  • Seated Overhead Extensions (barbell or dumbell)
  • Pushups with hands close together
  • Bench Dips

Back

• Barbell Rows
  • Pendlay Rows
  • Dumbell One Arm Row
  • Barbell One Arm Row (requires something to support the free end of the barbell)
  • Meadows Row (requires something to support free end of bar)
  • Barbell Deadlift
  • T-Bar Row - old school (requires something to support end of bar and a V handle)
  • Chin Ups
  • Pull Ups

Biceps

• Dumbell Curl (seated, standing, incline, alternating)
  • Concentration Curls
  • Barbell Curl
  • Barbell Drag Curl
  • Dumbell Preacher curl using incline bench

Forearms

• Dumbell Hammer Curl
  • Reverse Grip Barbell Curl
  • “Pinwheel Curl” - aka cross body hammer curl
  • Barbell Wrist Curl

Legs

• Lunges (dumbell or barbell)
  • Walking Lunges
  • Sissy Squats
  • Barbell Squats (if you have a power rack)
  • Dumbell Squats
  • Barbell Hack Squats
  • Barbell or Dumbell Stepups
  • Stiff leg deadlifts (hamstrings)
  • Barbell Front Squat (easier with a power rack)
  • Dumbell Standing Calf Raises off a step
  • Seated calf raise with barbell or dumbell across thighs

Did you get all of that?

As you can see there are A LOT of exercises that you can do at home with just a basic setup. There is enough variety there that anyone from a beginner on up to an advanced trainee could get away without having to go to an actual gym.

We have a gym at work now, because it gives us a break on health insurance, but I do still work out at home at times. I get by with a door mounted pull up bar, which can be put on the floor for dips also, a $ 50 weight set from KMart ( 125 lbs) plus some weights I had from an earlier set. I made kettle bells out of basketballs and PVC pipe (instructables.net), and medicine balls out of basketballs. I also have a tree with a branch that is a good height for pull ups.

With these I can do most of the exercises you listed. Plus a 2 dollar jump rope from walmart

One great exercise you missed is Burpees. All you need is a floor and you can get a great workout. Try doing 30 burpees a day for 30 days. You can break them up to 10 at a time throughout the day. Great way to bump up your workout.

• Like 1

Properly formatted version: http://fitnessboard.net/wordpress/fitness-tip-103114-working-out-at-home/

DSC_2382.jpg

Working out at home

I have had a few people ask that I do an article on working out at home - and Ive been putting off writing it for a while because I didnt want to just to a half-assed article that didnt really give any information. Im hoping that I can put together something here that will be truly useful! The real difficulty in writing an article about working out at home, is that no two people seem to have the same equipment available to them! Ive seen people do effective home programs with as little as a barbell, some weights, and a bench - while others have everything from a power rack to a leg press machine in their basement.

Let me start all of this out by saying that I do not workout at home. I havent worked out at home since I graduated from high school back in 1994, so what I am telling you here is based on my experience from 20+ years ago and also on what Ive learned from a good friend and fellow FitnessBoard contributor who goes by MassiveFreak. MassiveFreak has an excellent home gym that he posted pictures of on the forum in these posts on HERE and HERE.

Equipment

What you will have in your home gym will depend on a lot of factors but the most important are obviously How much space is there? and How much money do I have to spend? You could end up with anything from a set of pink 1lb dumbells and a yoga mat that you use in your living room while watching TV to a converted airplane hangar filled with top of the line equipment. For the sake of this article Im going to assume you have a bit of space and a little bit of money to put into your workout space but you can always do more or less. The bare basics that I would recommend are and adjustable bench (with supports for the bar), an Olympic weight set, Olympic barbell, and a set of dumbells that you can use with your olympic weights. If you have the space and money a simple power rack makes a nice addition - youll just need a different style adjustable bench since you wont need the built in supports. If you dont like running or walking outside - youll also want to invest in some sort of cardio related machine like a bike, treadmill, or elliptical machine. With just these few pieces of equipment anyone from a beginner to an advanced lifter can get an effective workout.

Exercises

Okay, now youve got your equipment picked out - how are you going to get a full body workout from just those few things?? It is a lot easier than you think, if you have a big list of exercises to pick from! Im going to list things off for you here by bodypart. If you are unfamiliar with something listed - click here for some great animated pictures of how to perform most exercises. If you want a better explanation click on the link at the bottom of the page that will take you to our forum and ask us about it there.

I am going on the assumption that you have access to 1) A barbell with weights, 2) adjustable dumbells with weights, and 3) a bench. I am going to start from the top and work my way down so here we go:

Chest

• Pushups (flat, decline, incline, wide, close)
  • Barbell or Dumbell Bench Press - depending on your bench you can do incline, decline, or flat
  • Dumbell Flyes (can also do incline, decline, or flat)
  • Dips (if you have a power rack you can use a barbell to make dip bars)

Shoulders

• Dumbell Seated or Standing Shoulder Press
  • Dumbell Arnold Press
  • Dumbell Lateral Raise
  • Dumbell or Barbell Front Raise
  • Barbell or Dumbell Clean and Press
  • Barbell or Dumbell Hanging Clean and press
  • Upright Rows (dumbell or barbell)
  • Barbell Shoulder Press (if you have a power rack and appropriate bench)

Triceps

• Skullcrushers (barbell or dumbell) - varieties: incline, decline, on the floor, WTF style
  • Dumbell Kickbacks
  • Close Grip Bench Press
  • Seated Overhead Extensions (barbell or dumbell)
  • Pushups with hands close together
  • Bench Dips

Back

• Barbell Rows
  • Pendlay Rows
  • Dumbell One Arm Row
  • Barbell One Arm Row (requires something to support the free end of the barbell)
  • Meadows Row (requires something to support free end of bar)
  • Barbell Deadlift
  • T-Bar Row - old school (requires something to support end of bar and a V handle)
  • Chin Ups
  • Pull Ups

Biceps

• Dumbell Curl (seated, standing, incline, alternating)
  • Concentration Curls
  • Barbell Curl
  • Barbell Drag Curl
  • Dumbell Preacher curl using incline bench

Forearms

• Dumbell Hammer Curl
  • Reverse Grip Barbell Curl
  • Pinwheel Curl - aka cross body hammer curl
  • Barbell Wrist Curl

Legs

• Lunges (dumbell or barbell)
  • Walking Lunges
  • Sissy Squats
  • Barbell Squats (if you have a power rack)
  • Dumbell Squats
  • Barbell Hack Squats
  • Barbell or Dumbell Stepups
  • Stiff leg deadlifts (hamstrings)
  • Barbell Front Squat (easier with a power rack)
  • Dumbell Standing Calf Raises off a step
  • Seated calf raise with barbell or dumbell across thighs

Did you get all of that?

Miss our weekly kilt fit tips.

• Like 1

Did you get all of that?

Miss our weekly kilt fit tips.

Haha!

Yeah... I've been slacking on writing them lately, but I'm planning to get back to it.

I've got 2 that I wrote last month I will post up ;)

I love the panelling...matches what I took out of my house.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this