Raymond

Show Off Your Knives - Swords - Dirks - Sharp Pointy Things

I am a HUGE knife / sword / blade collector. I primarily focus on Japanese swords, but now that I have been delving into kilts, Scotland and such, I have been looking at European swords.

So I thought hey... why not do a show and tell.

Lets see any blade you are willing to share.

I have waiting for me the following that I can not wait to get my hands on when I get back to the states.

images%5CSH1049_2_l.jpg

images%5CSH2411_4_l.jpg

I would love to see your blades...

Here are some more of my blades...

54724_500054789416_4995645_o.jpg

1510506_10152253214134417_1524188847_n.j

I made my own sgian a while ago, it's not pro level by any stretch but I did everything myself from start to finish.

I thought I posted pics here but can't find em.

I will post a pic or two tomorrow.

• Like 1

Here ya go

1BF39DED-1CA8-4D06-886A-384792942FB7.jpg

BC546640-6D9C-4D98-ABD8-F16A1285816D.jpg

999658F0-A363-4C82-ADAF-39F3C2B74D68.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking sgian knife.

It's serviceable but amateurish. I am proud of having done everything myself and I learned a lot and gained a LOT of respect for skilled knife smiths like Drac

Alright, I'll play...

Here's my collection of sgian dubh to date:

This one was made by Louis Garcia of Fredericksburg, Texas (http://www.lgknives.com/). This was a first for Louis, who specializes in hunting knives, and was made to a sketch I provided. It's not exactly traditional, but is scary sharp and no-frills functional:

LG%20sgian_zps7lnpvtkl.jpg

This one was made by Adriaan Gerber of Lamoine, Maine (http://www.adriaangerberknives.com). I love the simple lines of this one:

AG%20sgian_zpssh5tartl.jpg

This one was made by Michael ("Mickey") Wise of Jack, Alabama (http://www.angelfire.com/my/wisecustomknives/). This is one that gets a lot of carry because of the thin, elegantly understated handle:

MW%20sgian_zpsobrzpcnz.jpg

This one was made by Michael Wall of Sandown Forge in central Florida (http://www.sandownforge.com/Sandown_Forge/Sandown_Forge.html). Some of you may recognize the shape of this one as Drac's "Artificer" model, of which I had a hand in the design:

SDF%20sgian_zps1pyimjmc.jpg

And the following three were made by Nathan Taylor of Boerne, Texas (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-Knives/118232621593669). Love his work! I gave the blade pictured second below to my uncle as a Christmas present a couple of years ago... He was thrilled. I just purchased the third and expect it to arrive next week.

NT%201_zpsjolnfrmj.jpg

NT%202_zpstiepgtuv.jpg

NT3_zps6jso1und.jpg

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • Like 2

Some very nice blades in deed. Please keep posting more. :D

Here's a look at my most recent acquisition, a Victorian era hunting sgian dubh for day wear:

2Ado7eb.jpg

yqD61Mq.jpg

rDjzVfs.jpg

• Like 1

very nice Iron John.

here is another one of mine. This knife with Damaskus blade was fitted with a briar handle by a german pipe maker.

The picture was stitched together with focus stacking using 23 exposures in Photoshop

16610643840_f3610b2b64_b.jpg

Damascus Blade with Briar Handle (Focusstacking) by s_maclately, on Flickr

[[Template core/front/global/commentEditLine is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here are some other vintage sgian dubhs that I have had for awhile. I think these are from the early 1900s:

sgiandubh1.jpg

sgiandubh3.jpg

sgiandubh2.jpg

lawrie1.jpg

lawrie3.jpg

And here is my antique dress dirk from the late 19th century:

dirkdiagonal.jpg

I have 11 basket hilt swords, but these two are my favorites:

swordssidebyside.jpgtarge3.jpg

Some of my others, these are Paul Chen/Hanwei reproductions:

targe1.jpgtarge2.jpg

004.jpg

Here's an interesting antique/vintage sgian I picked up recently on eBay, has anyone ever seen one like this before?

http://s1379.photobucket.com

Can't seem to get the pics to come up but follow the link and you can see several pics of it.

I recently received the reproduction early 18th century dirk I commissioned Mike McRae of Scotia Metalwork to make. It's 5160 steel, hand carved ebony with a brass pommel. I'm well pleased with the results.

01C3A06A-02B5-4975-B3F5-AFA2A46EC7BC_zps

0ac5f78b-fbca-4e72-89e9-44da7b9e82e8_zps

FB814E59-D3A7-4BD2-9E85-15A9C30E5967_zps

I made this knife. Can I call it sgian dubh? Is it like a traditional Scotish sgian?

sgean-dubh-amber-view4.jpg