PTAaron

Fitness Tip 2/23/15 - How To Use A Hallway

I posted this one up on February 23rd, but I didn't post it over here because it wasn't really fitness or kilt related... I do think it is pretty good though so here you guys go:

The properly formatted version is viewable here: http://fitnessboard.net/wordpress/tutorial-how-to-use-a-hallway/

Tutorial: How to Use a Hallway
How to Use a Hallway

dumbass-300x184.jpg

This isn’t directly related to fitness, so you’ll have to bear with me. This is relevant because this tutorial is something that many people at my gym should read, as clearly they do not understand the concept. Let’s start with this basics.

What is a Hallway?

When I’m talking about how to properly operate this confusing bit of construction known as a hallway I am using this term to refer to the open area where people walk indoors between areas where activities are conducted. An example would be the area connecting the front desk at the gym to the locker room, just to keep things fitness related. This instructional article can also apply outdoors when talking about sidewalks – but for the sake of simplicity (which seems warranted for those that don’t understand how hallways operate) I am only going to discuss the use of indoor walkways.

These are examples of what a hallway may look like:

B3265A5C-9E35-4A5B-A676-AEBC923B374D_zpshallway-300x224.jpg

How do I use a hallway correctly?

Ah, I’m glad you asked, because these wide open areas can be confusing, even downright scary to those that do not understand their proper operation. You will notice that most hallways have a wall on either side of them, a flat open area in between the walls on the bottom or “floor”, and often times there will be another flat area at the top of the hallway that sometimes has lights on it this is called the “ceiling”. Now to get from the area you are at to a different area you will have to venture into this mysterious place. The easiest way to do this is to hold up your right hand to remind yourself which side is which, and position yourself near the wall on the right hand side of the hallway. This is very similar to driving a car down a road, you drive down the right hand side of the street right? (Note: these directions only apply to countries where people drive on the right hand side of the road, if you drive on the left hand side of the road in your country you will have to find a different tutorial.)

Please refer to the following to help determine which hand is your right hand. If you hold up your hand with your palm facing away from you and you see what looks like an “L” – this is not your right hand.

2c60c5dc-c951-4001-ac59-867ab5875bed_zps

Once you are positioned properly in the hallway – start walking and keep walking until you get to your destination. Once you have reached your destination, you can stop walking. Pretty straightforward right? One would think so, but for the sake of clarity – here are some pictures demonstrating proper and improper hallway usage:

These children understand proper hallway usage:

hallwaycorrect-300x211.jpg

This dumbass on the other hand does not understand proper hallway usage – can you spot his error? (hint: where in the hallway is he walking?)

E30A728D-DC14-41AB-A3ED-B038EDC37D30_zps

What are some common errors?

I’m glad you asked that as well, because it is quite obvious from any excursion into public that many people are unaware of what constitutes incorrect hallway usage.

1. Using the incorrect side of the hallway for your direction of travel. This is the most common mistake in hallway usage, and also the easiest to correct. While walking down the hallway it helps to frequently check to see which hand is closest to the side of the hallway – if it is your right hand you are doing it right, if it is your left hand you are doing it wrong. Luckily this is easy to correct but moving to the correct side of the hallway.
  2. Stopping in the middle of the hallway. What if you are walking and you need to stop? This is tricky, but again imagine you are on the expressway and you need to stop – what would you do? You would pull off to the side after checking your mirrors right? I hope that is what you said, otherwise we may need to work on a different tutorial. The same thing applies in a hallway – check over your shoulder and then move to the side to stop. Bravo! This same concept applies when you see a friend walking in the opposite direction – it is improper to stop in the middle of the hallway as you will now be blocking both directions. The proper thing to do here is to pick a side and move over to that side with your friend to talk.
  3. Walking down the middle of the hallway. This is also easily preventable by using the simple “hand check” described above. If neither hand is near a wall, you have drifted off course and are now driving down the center of the road! DANGER! Pull to the right, and everything will be ok. Continuing down a course that is in the middle of the hallway will lead to severe annoyance of all other people using the hallway as you will be disrupting the flow of traffic in both directions.

So there you have it – the basics of hallway operation. Now that you understand how a hallway works, you are ready to go out and enjoy responsible hallway usage. Be sure to keep your eyes open though, not everyone is as educated and safe as you are – just let those people know about this tutorial and together we can make the hallways a safer place to walk.

• Like 1

I tend to avoid hallways at all costs. I tend to always find a leaf blower wielding lass around every corner! :)

• Like 1

I tend to avoid hallways at all costs. I tend to always find a leaf blower wielding lass around every corner! :)

I fear not a leafblower wielding lass.

Then again, I did a 5k on a nudist camp ground, which really changes ones views on many things.

• Like 1

I love it! One would think it's simple logic right? Rules of the road also apply to hallways, grocery store aisles, anywhere at flipping Costco...

And here I was thinking it was something to do with fitness, in a way it does! Navigate like a normal person or I'm fitness boot up your arse!!!

Well done PT, glad to see you again!

• Like 1

You hang out in some strange places my friend. LOL!

I fear not a leafblower wielding lass.

Then again, I did a 5k on a nudist camp ground, which really changes ones views on many things.

That would certainly change the perspective... :pale:

I love it! One would think it's simple logic right? Rules of the road also apply to hallways, grocery store aisles, anywhere at flipping Costco...

And here I was thinking it was something to do with fitness, in a way it does! Navigate like a normal person or I'm fitness boot up your arse!!!

Well done PT, glad to see you again!

Logic is in short supply these days ;)

Not exactly fitness related - but apparently I was really cranky last month when writing my blog posts! :laughing:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.