Sign in to follow this  
Irish Siege

$75 Amerikilts at The Kilted Nation

All,

I received an email from The Kilted Nation stating the following...

All in stock Amerikilts are on sale for $75. This is 25% of the normal prices and is only for currently in stock items. Prices for in stock items on the web site are marked down already. Note: the news letters will be coming from TKNnews@kiltednation.com, from now on....if you have email filters that need updating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for using our shopping system

The Kilted Nation

Phone: 703-330-7072

Fax: 703-330-7073

URL: www.kiltednation.com

All,

I received an email from The Kilted Nation stating the following...

All in stock Amerikilts are on sale for $75. This is 25% of the normal prices and is only for currently in stock items. Prices for in stock items on the web site are marked down already. Note: the news letters will be coming from TKNnews@kiltednation.com, from now on....if you have email filters that need updating.

Thank you for using our shopping system

The Kilted Nation

Phone: 703-330-7072

Fax: 703-330-7073

URL: www.kiltednation.com

Oooh and I am still on vacation... may have to drive out for some mexican food and a kilt or two. Do you know if Amerikilt makes Kids sizes? My boy wants one now. He saw me browsing directions to the shop and flipped out like I was buying Star Wars action figures. Well not quite, but close.

Thanks for the head's up. I wasn't quite out of money yet! You're so helpful.

What are AmeriKilts made of? Looks like a strange material.

What are AmeriKilts made of? Looks like a strange material.

100% pure cotton, i think in a denim-ish like weave but the weight varies (on what i am not sure, i think on color). i have one. honestly, i don't like it at all. not worth $75 in my opinion. very hard to care for, wrinkles like wadded paper. the pleats are super shallow and only sewn down on one side.

100% pure cotton, i think in a denim-ish like weave but the weight varies (on what i am not sure, i think on color). i have one. honestly, i don't like it at all. not worth $75 in my opinion. very hard to care for, wrinkles like wadded paper. the pleats are super shallow and only sewn down on one side.

Thanks for posting the review. I may not make the purchase after all.

Thanks for letting us know! I was just looking at them. Now I know better.

While I enjoy the comfort of my Amerikilt, I have to agree with you regarding the care and feeding of it. My tan Amerikilt is a cotton twill--light enough without blowing around terribly in a breeze, but it's a real wrinkle magnet. If the back sides of the pleats had been stitched down, ironing wouldn't be such a hassle.

As yet, I only have two kilts, both contemporary styles rather than trad or semi-trad, and my UK Original is the better kilt. I like the color of the AK better, but will probably use it less often simply because I hate to iron the dratted thing.

i almost feel guilty for my harsh criticism of them; i've heard they are good to work with; but i definitely understand why they are so affordable. and what disappointed me was that after they are washed and worn, heck after just putting it on and sitting down; they just won't look anything like the pictures online.

but if cost is a real issue, they can be a starter kilt for someone.

Well, my thanks to you both for the reviews. I've decided to pass on the AmeriKilt, now that I know how they're made. I don't want a 100% cotton kilt. Too much involved in keeping it looking like a kilt, instead of a skirt.

Thanks to whomever unsubscribed me from the Kilted Nation newsletter. Lesson learned...next time I will remove all links when I am trying to be helpful. :P

Just got back from Brad's shop with a black AK for $75. He had three left in my size, a black, a tan, and a brown. The tan made me look fat, and the Mrs. didn't dig the brown. I'll post some pics when the time is right, as it's technically a Christmas present. For what I wanted, it's perfect. It's less formal and less expensive than my tartan kilts, and will likely get a lot of use as it's sharp enough in black to wear with a golf shirt, and casual enough to work better with a t-shirt than my traditional kilts. I don't know if it'll get much use at work, but a weekend favorite I'm sure. I'll be sure and keep an eye on the wrinkle factor, but for a cotton knock-around kilt, I doubt it will bother me too much.

Just got back from Brad's shop with a black AK for $75. He had three left in my size, a black, a tan, and a brown. The tan made me look fat, and the Mrs. didn't dig the brown. I'll post some pics when the time is right, as it's technically a Christmas present. For what I wanted, it's perfect. It's less formal and less expensive than my tartan kilts, and will likely get a lot of use as it's sharp enough in black to wear with a golf shirt, and casual enough to work better with a t-shirt than my traditional kilts. I don't know if it'll get much use at work, but a weekend favorite I'm sure. I'll be sure and keep an eye on the wrinkle factor, but for a cotton knock-around kilt, I doubt it will bother me too much.

Best of luck with the new kilt. Can't wait to see the pics.

The black AK is a different fabric than the rest.

At least it was.

Microfibre, as I seem to recall.

nah, still 100% cotton. i had at one time myself. very thin and lighter than the others, but the tag said 100% cotton.

The Amerikilts are well made garments. From what I have seen, they are all 100% pre-shrunk cotton, however, the weight and style will very from one color to the next....as well as within the same color, depending on where the fabric is sourced throughout the year.

They are much lighter than the UK's and will tend to wrinkle easier, but they are an excellent low-cost kilts that are good for many situations. (just take care with the snaps the first few time you unsnap them....they are very aggressive, and can tear the fabric if you pull to fast, too soon, but will loosen as you use it.

I compare them to a good cross between the Utilikilts and the Sportkilts. A little heavier than the SK's, solid colors, but with a more "traditional" styling.

I also like them, because I can get, and have in the store, up to size 60....for the big boys (and girls). Which I can't get in the UK's and SportKilt's.

They're on sale now because I have a lot of in store stock that I need to turn over and some new stuff that I'd like to get in (including more AK's).

The 25% off can't be combined with the BotK membership discount....it is a standalone deal. And it is only for currently in stock items.....anything that has to be ordered would be at the regular price, $100.

They are an excellent, low cost, choice.

Brad

TKN

They are an excellent, low cost, choice.

Brad

TKN

I agree, and I love it. Thanks again, Brad. I'll be back.