furrycelt

shortening the standard 24" kilt

i was poking around The Kilted Nation site, and i noticed the affordable pre-made synthetic-wool kilts came in standard lengths of 24". i am not at all shocked at this. however, being only 5'7" with short legs, even if i wear it high-waisted, i just can't do a 24" kilt.

my questions are thus: how is it shortened? and how does it look afterwards?

i'm specifically referring to these (product id 65).

thanks

I say just ask them to shorten it. There is the option at the bottom of that page. $30 to get it done right is a hell of a lot cheaper than screwing it up.

And buyer beware as 16 ounce PV does not actually exist. It usually winds up being 13 ounce acrylic.

I say just ask them to shorten it. There is the option at the bottom of that page. $30 to get it done right is a hell of a lot cheaper than screwing it up.

huh?

And buyer beware as 16 ounce PV does not actually exist. It usually winds up being 13 ounce acrylic.

yes, i understand. but i think the cloth in question is described as being a blend of PV and something else to bulk it up.

i'm more interested in knowing how they shorten it, and how it looks after it is shortened.

yes, i understand. but i think the cloth in question is described as being a blend of PV and something else to bulk it up.

i'm more interested in knowing how they shorten it, and how it looks after it is shortened.

ahh...gotcha..

um...I'm guessing they use a sharp piece of metal.

when it is done, I would assume it would look shorter.

TKN's site seems to be down at this moment, but I just received one of these kilts (Heritage of Ireland tartan in my case) and it is indeed a heavy PV-blend material.

The material has a stiffer "hand" than Acrylics, but feels quite dense and durable.

The bottom of the kilt is hemmed, not selvedged, so shortening would just mean raising the hem.

Chris...

TKN's site seems to be down at this moment, but I just received one of these kilts (Heritage of Ireland tartan in my case) and it is indeed a heavy PV-blend material.

The material has a stiffer "hand" than Acrylics, but feels quite dense and durable.

The bottom of the kilt is hemmed, not selvedged, so shortening would just mean raising the hem.

Chris...

ah yes, very good. i figured it was either chopping and hemming; chopping, running a seam, and fringe-ing; or something more complicated/creative/impossible.

neo-modern kilts are typically hemmed (UtiliKilt and the like). and it looks fine on them. i've not seen a hem on a wool or wool-alternative kilt. how does it look? how does it hang? got pics?

what's your opinion on it? i've seen and held fully acrylic kilts, and i didn't like it at all. i have a 100% PV kilt from USA Kilts. it is great, but not a heavy weight material. does the PV blend have any of those blanket-like qualities that acrylics have?

thanks,

-ian

ah yes, very good. i figured it was either chopping and hemming; chopping, running a seam, and fringe-ing; or something more complicated/creative/impossible.

neo-modern kilts are typically hemmed (UtiliKilt and the like). and it looks fine on them. i've not seen a hem on a wool or wool-alternative kilt. how does it look? how does it hang? got pics?

what's your opinion on it? i've seen and held fully acrylic kilts, and i didn't like it at all. i have a 100% PV kilt from USA Kilts. it is great, but not a heavy weight material. does the PV blend have any of those blanket-like qualities that acrylics have?

thanks,

-ian

It hangs just fine with the hemmed edge, but before I take some pics I need to press out some shipping creases in the aprons and reverse pleats. So it may be few days before I get some pics up.

The fabric shares no traits of acrylic kilts like SWK's, etc. The material is much denser and appears to be a tight weave, and due to this it has a "stiffness" to it...very unlike acrylic. I don't own any 16 oz wool tanks (yet) but this weave is what I would imagine the wool to be like, but perhaps the wool would have a softer hand.

I haven't had a chance to wear it out yet, only try it on to ensure it fit, but I like it. It feels very durable and I think it will be an excellent casual kilt. Where I would worry about snagging my SWK's and thereby damaging them, I don't think that will be an issue with these TKN Heritage kilts. I think the term "tank" would be fitting for these, too... :party-smiley-015:

Chris...

Jumping in on this one a little late:

The PV kilts come standard 24 inches, and are hemmed. When shortened, the new hem is the same as the old. I have a local seamstress that does wonderful work on these, the Utilikilts...everything I have brought her. You can't tell any work had been done.

As to the fabric, its weight, etc.....take a look at the previous post I made on this at Xmarks, as well as point to here (pointing to definitions and everything). The tag on the inside of the kilts says:

65% viscous rayon

35% acetate fiber

I can only tell you what my vendors tell me and advertise these as. And they are sold to me (and directly to the public) as 16 oz. poly viscose kilts.

They are definitely NOT acrylic.....come into the store....I'll show you one of each. They are much different, and I do not like the feel or look of the acrylic kilts.

Is it the same quality PV as seen coming from Marten Mills (used by Neokilt and others)? Absolutely not (which is reflected in the price). But the kilts are very well made. The stiffness works out as you wear it more. Everyone that has seen them or purchased them has only given me positive feedback.

I know its argument that can't be won either way....which is why I have kilts of all styles, fabrics and price ranges.

Brad