JS Sanders

Cigar Sgian Dubh-Brew

Just outta the mold....

Cast from an actual sacrificed cigar. And coated with resin to resemble a cello wrapper.

An opener seems so much more right, as a opposed to a blade. But it can be made with a sgian blade.

sgiancigar2.jpg

That's terrific!

That does look cool, the resin makes it look a bit fake though... perhaps when making one use a real cigar ring around it before the resin coating, and find a way to dull it up a bit, too shiny to look real even with a cello wrapper on it...

That is mighty neat. I like it lots better than to too damned realistic snakes. But I have to agree with Pain about it being a bit too shiny.

That does look cool, the resin makes it look a bit fake though... perhaps when making one use a real cigar ring around it before the resin coating, and find a way to dull it up a bit, too shiny to look real even with a cello wrapper on it...

Yes - a medium brown 'claro' is tricky to get just right when dyeing small lots of polyurethane. A 'maduro' wrapper is far easier to simulate. I have yet to try for a 'candela'.

Due to photographic constraints the details in the cigars are subdued. And the band was adhered in place prior to the clear resin coating.

The cigar band is necessity, otherwise it looks too much like a very straight doggie doodie. But in order to keep the band from wearing away, some sorta coating is required.

It shouldn't be too difficult to buff away some of the highlights. Held in the hand, you can see the twisting of the original wrapper.

Your critiques are duly noted & recorded. Thank you.

Slainte,

steve

Way cool Steve.

That's NEAT!

Should I mention that I now want a SQUIRREL sgian . . .

(Great as a bottle opener . . . )

Tomorrow, when daylight's available, I'll photograph & post a 'maduro' cigar pre-clearcoat. The detail I'm able to get from the tobacco leaf is really impressive.

Still, the problem is the cigar band. An aficionado would recognize it without a band as a cigar, but other folks may question what's shoved into your hose.

The delicate nature of a paper ring insists that it must be protected with a clear covering. Acrylic spray paint is a possibility, but back to the problem of obscuring the wrapper's details.

Slainte,

steve

Here's a 'maduro' right outta the mold. Check the details captured - you can see the wrapper & natural imperfections easily.

cigar3.jpg

That is sweet! Instead of a bottle opener you could always put some sort of cigar punch or cutter on it.

Instead of a bottle opener you could always put some sort of cigar punch or cutter on it.

That's not a bad idea. I have a source for punch cutters. Think there'd be much interest in a faux-cigar-sgian punch cutter?

Didja see the bladeless sgian on a separate thread?

Slainte,

steve

I'd get one, I think it would be pretty handy. No I didn't see the other, I'll track that thread down.

The new picture of the maduro looks good, the detail is really nice.

I think the punch idea is a good one as well.

It appears a cigar band will hafta be left off due to problems making it durable & losing essential details on the wrapper.

Would that be acceptable to you confirmed cigar smokers?

cigar3.jpg

What are you using for the bands? What do you end up losing when you coat it with the 'wrapper'?

OK, my 2 cents worth...

I think as is that is obviously a cigar, not a dog turd sticking up.

And even if someone asked "what the hell is that sticking out of your sock" it would be a great conversation piece, as a cigar cutter or bottle opener.

In short, I like it and think it looks cool.

What are you using for the bands? What do you end up losing when you coat it with the 'wrapper'?

Regular paper cigar bands on prototypes.

When I apply a clearcoat of resin, it smooths over & obscures wrapper details that are really essential to show that it is a cigar. View again 1st photo I posted.

A 'candela' wrapper would squash the suggestion it's a doggie doodie.

I'm trying to create a product that is desireable. If I can't provide what the buyers want, it's discontinued and the search continues. That's business in a capitalistic market.

Opinions here are invaluable for this.

Have you thought about molding the cigar with an exaggerated wrapper on it IN THE MOLD? This will eliminate the need for a paper wrapper, and a little paint will give you the whole thing without worry of it obscuring the wrapper.

hmm..You could probably get this to work if you glues two wrappers together and put them on the cigar for molding.

Have you thought about molding the cigar with an exaggerated wrapper on it IN THE MOLD? This will eliminate the need for a paper wrapper, and a little paint will give you the whole thing without worry of it obscuring the wrapper. hmm..You could probably get this to work if you glue two wrappers together and put them on the cigar for molding.

Extra labor & parts = increased cost.

Plus, polyurethane paint isn't especially durable in an acidic skin-contact environment.

Extra labor & parts = increased cost.

Plus, polyurethane paint isn't especially durable in an acidic skin-contact environment.

gotcha

I saw the first one, just wasn't sure if it was an actual paper band. It actually didn't look like any brand I had ever seen :P

I know it would be an added expense and probably a pain in the ass to do, but what about laminating the band before trying to put it around the cigar?

<< I know it would be an added expense and probably a pain in the ass to do... >>

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

And I am grateful for all who take time to post suggestions.

Slainte,

steve

hmmmmm... How thick of a coat of resin do you usually put on these things? Do you think just doing a clear coat of nail-polish or something like that, might accomplish the same effect?