Sign in to follow this  
Warlock

APOCO-KILT PROTOTYPE FLASHES

Now that was a neat idea Warlock...

oooo...hidden pocket flashes...VERY cool!

Although I made it, I can not (and will not) claim the idea. Our own Crisis 12 asked me to make some "hidden pockets" on the flashes big enough for a challenge coin.

In honor of that, I dub thee, the "Crisis pocket."

Kind of reminds me of SERE precautions we used to do to our "cammies." Hidden pockets sewn into linings to hold survival gear and stuff. Since the top portion of the flashes will be covered anyway I didn't feel the need to add a flap, the hose acts as one. I guess I could have added something to the back of them as well and make full on SERE flashes. Camouflaged flashes with hidden compartments for survival gear.

Let's see:

Money (folded bills or a few coins) in main pocket

A fishing hook wrapped in attached fishing line (say 15'?)behind one flash

Matches and a striker on the other

A small signal mirror in a pocket on the other set

some bandaids behind a flash

a flat rolled portion of Duct tape on the other

all hidden on the back side of the flashes

Some 550 cord wrapped around the elastic portions and you've got a decent start.

Those flashes are a great idea!

ha! no more buying drinks for military buddies while kilted!!!!

Made a new set tonight for my Black canvas kilt I'm building. Put a pocket on both sides. Also made them a bit differently.

Take a piece of fabric 4 1/2" x 36" or a touch longer depending on how the ends look. Fold it in half so it makes a really long tube with the show side on the inside of the tube (make sense?). Sew it down 1 1/2" away from the FOLDED edge (I screwed that one up) all the way down. A neat trick is to use little binder clips along the non folded edge to hold the the pieces in place while sewing and lay a line of chalk to fallow.

Now the hard part. Turn it rightside out. It should be just the right size to shove a thin yard stick down to help push or a long pencil will do the trick too.

Once it's done comes some ironing. I try to get the ends inside the tube to lay opposite each other. They should be just long enough to touch the inside fold once you iron it down. Start at one end with the iron once you get the parts that way and work it SLOWLY down the rest. You should be able to feel the difference between 2 thicknesses and 4 if you are doing it wrong. I use the center seam as a guide. Just keep it dead center down the length.

Now that you have a flat tube, cut it up into four 7" lengths and two 4" lengths. Go ahead and serge/triple zig zag all the ends except for the one end of each of the 7" pieces. Lay 2 of the 7" pieces next to each other and line up the serged ends making sure that both center seams are facing the same side (trust me, screwed that up too before). Measure from that end, down the pieces 3" and mark BOTH edges. Zig zag down to that mark from the serged end to combine the 2 pieces. You might wanna reinforce where the stich ends with either a triple zig zag or a horizontal bartack (don't worry, it will be hidden). This makes it a hell of a lot easier to slide the elastic through later!

OK, now for the pockets! Take the 4" piece and fold over and iron down the edges in a 1/2" on each side making the piece now a finished 3". Lay that new pocket down on top of the flashes over the zig zagged section lining up the folded edges of the pocket with the sides of the flashes and so the bottom edge of the pocket just barely covers the end of the zig zag/bartack (about 1/8"). Now CAREFULLY sew down one edge, around the bottom of the pocket then back up the other side making sure to triple stitch the ends or bartack them down (I like bartacks!) Now all you have to do is fold over the portion of the flashes that sticks above the pocket so the serged/triple zig zagged end falls directly underneath the bottom stitch of the pocket. Once lined up with a little bit of seam allowance (1/8" is plenty), sew straight across the bottom edge of the pocket fallowing the previous stitch line and triple stitch the edges.

Now just cut out your notches at the bottom and you're done! Flashes you made with hidden pockets.

You might wanna add some type of fray stop to the notched edges depending on the fabric used.

They are very easy to make (if you know how to use a sewing machine that is) and not the most overly complicated accessory either. If you're using a rather thick fabric like I am, you may not want to use a 3 layer pocket. If not just replace that part with a a single layer with the edges turned in and sewn down or just grab a 1 1/2" piece of grosgrain ribbon, hot knife (or sear with a lighter CAREFULLY) the ends and use that 3" piece. You could retrofit that part to just about any set of flashes you already have.

I just thought of something. They way I combine the two flashes to allow for easier passing through of the elastic is to zig zag the two edges together. I just thought of a cleaner looking way as well. Flip the flashes over so the face side is down. Lay a 3" piece of grosgrain ribbon over the spot the two edges and top stitch them down. Now continue as normal.

Granted if doing the pockets as well the zig zag won't be seen when worn but w/o pockets it will just look a bit cleaner and more profesional.

Comments, suggestions, redheaded nymphos phone numbers? Anyone?