Bilt Kilt.com

Pleats

Hello we offer two pleating styles let us know which pleating styles you like best and anything you would change about our current Box and Inverted pleats?

Thanks

depends on what is going on.

I love knife pleats for foul weather. they keep me warm when cold and dry when it rains.

I love box pleats when it is hot outside or I am traveling long distances. Less fabric means less to trap the heat in.

it also depends VERY heavily on the fabrics used. My UK has a lot less fabric than my my wool, yet seems to trap more heat.

I love knife pleats for foul weather.......

I love knife pleats when it is hot outside......

So, it's safe to assume you like.......Knife pleats? ;)

Both styles have their pluses and minuses. I would say that your pleats are far too wide in general. They just don't work for me. Narrower pleats, and more of them, obviously, would look more kilt-like.

Knife pleats for me

ive never worn box pleats, but strictly based on looks i like box better.

I find that box pleats get out of kilter more easily than knife. I have a two-y/o knife pleat 13 oz that I've pressed just once, and a 1 y/o 16 oz box pleat I've had to press multiple times. both wool. It's hard to get the pleats on a box to not wrinkle under the right thigh while driving.

I only have one box pleat in the full blown traditionals. I had Matt Newsome make me one, and it is a quality item. Unlike Turpin, I have not noticed any greater need for pressing than my other traditionals. I guess I should mention that it is made out of 16 oz Strom and is very well made.

I now have three "modern" kilt-like garments that are box pleated, and they don't hold up well. They look like they need a pressing after the first hour of wear. But that is a factor of the fabric. All are heavy cotton.

For my eye and use, nothing much can beat a full blown traditional knife pleated kilt made out of quality wool. But having said that, I wouldn't want to wear my expensive kilts to change the oil, or putter around in the garage. For that, I strap on a casual kilt or a "modern" kilt-like garment.

I like knife pleats the best.

Knife pleats usually have more swish too. I must say that I like a kilt that has pleats, wouldn't have it any other way.

i like box pleates, you guys iron these things?

semper fi

windy

Both styles have their pluses and minuses. I would say that your pleats are far too wide in general. They just don't work for me. Narrower pleats, and more of them, obviously, would look more kilt-like.

:ditto:

Obviously this will cost more due to extra fabric & labour but if the price & quality are still reasonable you will get sales.

You've got some tartans listed that I'd definitely be interested in.

Chris...

Traditional deep knife pleats, hand sewn so well it looks like your kilt's on backwards until you move or the wind teases them.

Sunlightpleats.jpg

Just me, no interest in box pleats. Maybe MILITARY box pleats some day on the right tartan.

Ron

Thanks for your opinions on pleats. The pleating styles we offer are based on more of a contemporary look we are going for in the marketplace. Traditional kilts tend to have more pleats where our kilts are made with less. If more pleats are requested on an order we would be happy to fulfill that request but an additional cost will be in place as more fabric is required. If you are interested in a Bilt Kilt with more pleats in tartan or one of the fabrics we have to offer please contact us via our website and we would be happy to help.

Nice kilt RiverKilt too.

Question:

Would a kilt be a kilt if it didn't have pleats?

Actually, with a box pleat, a 4 yard section of fabric can make 4 pleats or 12 pleats... Both will use the same amount of fabric. Hip measurement x3 for the fabric needed, presto. Done. 12 pleats or 4, it will all use the same amount of fabric really.

Having great big pleats just means spending less time on the kilt. Potentially getting it done in hours rather than a day.

Question:

Would a kilt be a kilt if it didn't have pleats?

By most every definition I've ever read, a kilt has pleats. Anything else is some kind of wrap or skirt.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilt

The kilt is a knee-length garment with pleats at the rear, originating in the traditional dress of men and boys in the Scottish Highlands of the 16th century